WELCOME TO PERTH MANOR
Finest Boutique Hotel & Reception Facility!!!"
This fine home was constructed at a cost of 12,000 Pounds in 1878 by J.T.
Henderson formerly of Belleville. It was originally referred to as "Thurreson
Place" and served as a family home. J.T. Henderson was "trained in the
law..."but instead opened a very successful mercantile house in Perth
from which he sold various products such as dry goods, liquor, and
steamer tickets. The house was later taken over by his daughter Jessie
Jessie Mable was married to John A. Stewart, a local man of considerable
wealth and prominence in Perth. He practiced law and at various times
was President of Wampole Co. Ltd., the Andrew Jergens’ Company Ltd., and
the Perth Shoe Company. He was one of the partners in the McLaren
Brewery and Distillery and local newspaper, The Perth Expositor.
J.A. Stewart was elected into the House of Commons in 1918 and served as
Minister of Railways and Canals in the Meighen Administration; he was
also Mayor of Perth for two terms. Mrs. Stewart had a park designed and
constructed as a memorial to him. Beautiful Stewart Park is located on
Haggart's Island on the site of the former McLaren Distillery, directly
behind the Perth Town Hall on Gore Street.
The Stewarts Tudorized the prevailing Italiante look of the Manor by
adding leaded bay windows plus a porte-cochere.
After her death in April 1956 and having lived in the Manor for more
than sixty years the house was purchased by Eric & Eleanor Sabiston and
family. As Mr. Sabiston was viewed as the son the Stewarts never had,
and by successfully filling the position of president of the Perth Shoe
Co. for many years. The Stewarts in their last will & testament offered
Mr. Sabiston first right of refusal for Thurreson Place. The Sabiston’s
are reported to have enjoyed the ‘Bi g House’ and hosted many
lavish parties for the elite of the era. Many locals nicknamed the Manor
due to its size and surrounding stone wall.
In the early 1970's, owner & founder Catherine
Doornberg with her daughter Suzanne converted the Manor from a Private Residence into a senior’s home.
At that time residents of the Manor were charged $10.00 per day
which included housekeeping, meals, security, & the opportunity live in
such a grand home.
The Manor could could occupy up to 24 residents.
In the 1990's Phil & Gisela Aston purchased the Manor from Catherine
Doornberg the owner of the Seniors Home and converted it into an Inn
with Restaurant. By the mid to
late 90’s the Restaurant was closed and the Manor was downsized to a Bed
In April 2002 it was purchased by Michael Dwyer & David Marshall, or
"The Manor Boyz" as the folks of Perth fondly refer to them.
Partners restored, renovated, and applied the concept of Boutique Hotel
to the Manor.
Offering on-site Event Planning for Corporate and
Special Events made perfect sense for this magnificent venue.
They have installed ensuite private baths in all guest rooms, as well as
direct dial phones with private voicemail, Televisions, CD & DVD players, wireless internet, fine linens, and all the amenities you currently
The Manor and grounds continue to be restored, and resemble very closely
the design Mrs. Stewart had originally intended.
In the spring and summer month’s varieties of antique and unusual
flowers bloom once again.
The Tradition Continues...
May 4th 2011 Michael & David turned over the keys to Gordon, Linda, &
their daughter Tyanna Craig of Kingston, Ontario. The Craig family are
very excited about their new adventure & will continue to operate the
Manor as a Boutique Hotel.
We look forward to your visit.
Hotel is an intimate hotel that is uniquely designed, and is
dedicated to providing a warm and highly personalized service with a
special attention to detail.
pride ourselves in making every effort to ensure we exceed and surpass
the expectations of all who visit.
& Linda Craig